“After Vermeer, Rachel as a 9th Grader” by Dennis Grantz
This ArtPrize entry is a photomosiac created from 8,480 images from student file folders on the network server of the school where Dennis Grantz teaches. In the artist’s statement, he says, “It’s a face formed from art created by students at West Michigan Center for Arts and Technology.”
Yes, this piece is a Wow. And so were many of the over 1200 pieces on display at ArtPrize, the biggest thing to happen to Grand Rapids in a long time. Stay tuned. It’s coming back next year.
What you need to know about ArtPrize!
1. International Art Competition awarding $500,000 in cash prizes to artists whose work receives the most pubic votes.
2. Wednesday, Sept. 23 through October 10, 2009
3. The artists: 1,262 professional and amateur from 15 countries are competing in 159 venues with in a three mile radius in downtown Grand Rapids.
4. More than 5,000 artists applied for spots to show their work.
5. The winners:
First Prize: Ran Ortner for “Open Water No. 24”
Second Prize: Tracy Van Duinen for “Imagine That”
Third Prize: Eric Daigh for “Portraits”
6. More than 334,000 votes were cast in the competition, open to anyone who registered at sites around the city.