Like many compulsive travelers I’ve been glued to the TV, Internet and other sources of news to learn about the volcano in Iceland and the horrendous impact it is having on travel in Europe. And like lots of folks, we know people stuck there, trying to figure out how to get home, to or from emergency situations, vacations and business meetings. These folks will have stories to tell for years.
I have been interested in learning about volcanoes and about Iceland. Have to admit it wasn’t a country on the top of my bucket list before and it certainly isn’t now. The media is not painting an attractive picture. Cold. Desolate. And now covered with volcanic ash. But this got me thinking. What is on my bucket list of travel and what’s on yours?
I hope readers of DesignDestinations will share travel wish lists and thoughts about Iceland in the comment section at the end.
The top five destinations on my bucket list of places to go before I die are:
- Chile and Argentina. I’d like to go to the Lake District, sail the fjords and head Punta Arenas to see the penguins and then to Patagonia to hike and enjoy the vast undeveloped natural landscape. Have heard Hotel Explora is fabulous. Would then go to Buenos Aires for tango and all the good times I understand that this glamorous city in South America has to offer. If I could squeeze out another week in the lower hemisphere, I’d head to the Galapagos. The stories I have heard about wild life are amazing.
2. Scandinavia. I have Norwegian blood in me and would love to explore the homeland of some of my ancestors. The fjords, of course, but I think there is so much more to see in the land of the mid-night sun.
3. Australia and New Zealand. I have friends who spent five weeks there traveling about, sailing a bareboat charter, visiting Sydney with its iconic opera house and sniffing their way through lavender farms. Ahhhh. Sounds perfect to me.
4. Dubai, Egypt and the Blue Nile. I think the mix of cultures and destinations would be a wonderful juxtaposition of sights, sounds, smells and tastes. Gotta get there.
5. Rajasthan, India. I’ve been to Agra, New Deli, Goa and Mumbai, but the pink palaces and gorgeous silks of northwestern India call to me. Would love to go back to this exotic country. A little side trip to the Seychelles would be nice too.
And yes, there are tons of other places to see in the big world. What’s on your bucket list for when the skis clear and travel resumes? Please share your wishes.